Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Back from Portugal, and at Work on a New Book

Véhicule Press is taking a chance again: we've just signed a contract for a new book, tentatively called Making Waves: The Portuguese Adventure. Doesn't sound like it has much in common with my recent non-fiction, but, never fear, there is a direct line.

As I've traveled around over the last few years, researching my trio of books about nature, cities, and history and my recent fiction, I've been amazed at how frequently I encountered the Portuguese and their descendants. That wasn't a surprise in São Paulo, Brazil, featured in Green City, but in Kochi, India, I visited the church where the great explorer Vasco da Gama was buried after his death in 1524. Then there were the people with Portuguese surnames I met in Tanzania when I went looking for the home of wild African violets for The Violets of Usambara. Long before then, though, I saw Portuguese cod fishermen playing soccer in a parking lot in St. John's, Newfoundland, and even farther back, I remember the local grocery in San Diego, founded by a Portguese family to provision the tuna fleet.

In short the Portuguese were everywhere, and, as I discovered when I began research, they were leaders in other ways too--Lisbon was rebuilt along rational, Haussmannian lines a century before the Baron rejigged Paris, while the Carnation Revolution of the 1970s is a model of how to change a regime peacefully, to name only two.

Now all I have to do is write the book!

Photo: the view across the Tagus River, not far from where it flows into the Atlantic.